Here in Lorton, VA, it no longer feels like fall! It isn’t officially winter until December 21st, but the weather has definitely said otherwise! Now that the chilly nights have turned into frigid nights, it’s time to get your home really prepared for the nights where it’s just too cold to step outside! Here at M&M Mechanical we want to make sure that your home is ready by offering you a few tips:
Trial Run: If you haven’t already, turn on your fireplace and do a test run. Even if you’re not ready to turn it on for good – a trial run will make sure that everything is working fine and will be ready for when you really need it!
Exterior Faucets: Water left in your pipes can freeze as the weather drops. To avoid this, disconnect all garden hoses and draining the water that remains inside them.
Mow Your… Leaves: Have you ever thought of mowing your leaves instead of raking them? Smaller pieces of the leaves are very healthy for your lawn especially right before it snows.
Stock Up: Don’t wait last minute to go out and buy salt or shovels for this winter season! If it’s anything like last year’s winter – you’ll need it.
Save Money: If you were unhappy with your heating bills last season, consider installing a programmable thermostat. This will help you save money on your utility bills!
Lower the Temp: Taking a nice vacation to get away from the cold this winter? Don’t turn your heat off – keep it at 55 degrees.
Clean Your Gutters: With fall season comes lots of leaves – be sure to clear your gutter before this snowy season so you can avoid leaks and ice dams.
And of course, make sure that an M&M Mechanical technician has given your HVAC system a full inspection and tune-up! The last thing you want is for your furnace to malfunction after the freezing temperatures set in! Schedule your service call today!
Bob has been with M&M Mechanical for over 20 years. In addition to his role as Parts & Warehouse Manager, his duties also include procuring permits and assisting installation and service technicians with jobs that require additional manpower.
Bob is an extremely hardworking, dedicated employee with the highest integrity.
M&M Mechanical wishes to thank Bob for his unwavering dedication to making M&M the professional and honest company it is today. Thank you for your long and dedicated service, Bob!
Here are a few tips from us to you to ensure you get the most out of a visit from M&M Mechanical!
We Love Details: When an M&M technician arrives at your home, be ready to tell them everything that has happened with your system, even the littlest details. The more information we know, the easier it will be to detect any problems and fix them!
Corral Your Pets: Make sure your pets are in a separate room. We love pets here at M&M Mechanical and we will most definitely say hello to your furry animal, but our tools are too dangerous for animals to be around.
Clear the Way: Wherever your system is located, make sure that we are able to get to it easily. We’ll be the most efficient if we don’t have to spend time physically getting to the unit!
Check Your Filters: Before you call us, check your air filter! This is the most common cause of problems with heating or air conditioning systems and an easy fix on your end.
Questions, Questions, Questions: Before our technician arrives, make sure to write down all of the questions you need to ask us. That way, once the technician is there, you won’t forget anything!
Now that you know how to get ready for us, schedule your service call today!
We can’t believe it’s September already and summer is coming to an end. For the most part, schools are back in session and the pools are closing. Here are a few tips to get your home ready for this fall season and the cooler weather.
- Audit Outdoor Features: Replace any light bulbs or batteries that are outside, and take stock of anything about your home you need a professional to help you with (maybe a loose gutter or a leaky roof).
- Clean Your Windows: Don’t put it off any longer – get that ladder out and clean all of your exterior windows. Once it starts to get colder, you don’t want dirty windows to keep the sun from shining in!
- Clean Your Grill: Summer is all about pool parties and barbeques – but now that it’s coming to an end, make sure you clean your grill thoroughly. That way, when summer rolls around again, you can get right back to barbequing with a fresh, clean grill!
- Organize Your Yard: Make sure to put any toys, outdoor furniture, and flower boxes away. Leaving them outside could cause them to get water damaged or freeze. If you bring your barbeque inside for the colder season, be sure to leave the propane tank outside somewhere safe.
- Cozy Up: Chances are, you haven’t touched your fireplace all summer! We don’t blame you. If you had a summer like ours here in Lorton, you didn’t need to! But with fall approaching, remember: if you use your fireplace to stay warm on those chilly nights you must get your fireplace system checked by a professional to ensure a safe home!
- Time to Fall Back: Summer nights stay light very late, but during the colder seasons it will start to get darker earlier and earlier. Before it gets too cold and too dark, install lights in your walkway! Weather conditions could make your walkway harder to access during fall and winter. Especially with all of the holidays approaching, you don’t want your guests falling as they walk into your home!
- Get Your Heating System Serviced: Fall means no more air conditioner! Fall days can sometimes be great because you don’t have to use your heater or air conditioner. Opening the windows will sometimes do the trick. But at night, it’s a different story: it gets pretty chilly! Make sure you have your heater system checked by a professional so that when it’s time, you’re ready to turn on that heat with no problem.
- Say Good-Bye to Your Window Unit: Once you stop using your window AC unit, it should be taken out of the window. Leaving this unit in your window can let cold air in, eventually leading to a higher gas bill! Don’t skip this little step that could cost you!
Don’t forget, summer doesn’t technically end until September 22nd – so we hope you enjoy these last few weeks of summer! Give us a call at 703-751-1011 when you’re ready to have your heating system checked for Fall!
The first day of summer may not be until June 21st, but it already feels like it has arrived around here (especially in Fairfax VA). You may have been counting down the days until summer since January, but have you gotten your home ready? Check out our top tips for making sure you and your home have a great summer season.
- Repair or Replace Your AC Filters: Blocked and dirty filters can severely hamper the delivery of the cool air we all depend on during the hotter months.
- Change the Rotation of Ceiling Fans: Blades that rotate counter-clockwise help push air down and create a stronger, cooler draft.
- Install Outdoor Lighting: Don’t call it a night just because the sun has set! Add lanterns, twinkle lights or a fire pit to your backyard to make it nighttime friendly.
- Clean Out Your Freezer: Make room for your summer cookout extravaganza by fully emptying your freezer, defrosting it, and throwing out anything that’s been in there for over a year (or anything you just know you won’t eat).
- Reorganize Your Garage or Shed: Move all the winter tools and toys (think snow blower, shovels and skis) to the back, and bring the summer items (like sprinklers, lawn mowers and gardening gear) towards the front.
- Re-caulk Windows & Doors as Needed: During the colder months, windows and doors can separate slightly from their frames as they condense in the cool temperatures. A quick check and some caulk will fix it right up!
- Update Your Bedding: Swap out your heavier comforters for lighter, more breathable fabrics. Don’t forget to wash the winter bedding before storing it!
- Clean Your Patio Furniture: Pull your patio furniture out from storage, and give it a thorough cleaning. If your seat cushions have seen better days, consider replacing them with new, brightly colored ones!
- Reseal Your Fence and Deck: Wooden fences and decks take a beating in all types of weather, so give them a little TLC. Check that no boards need to be replaced, and give them a fresh coat of sealer to protect them all summer long.
And our bonus tip: get a seasonal tune-up on your HVAC system. The experts at M&M Mechanical will make sure your air conditioning system will get you through all the hot summer months ahead. Schedule a tune-up today!
PS, if you’re looking for HVAC services in the Atlanta GA area, call Cunningham Associates Heating & Cooling, Inc.