Spring is in the air and those hot humid days of summer are not too far behind. This means it’s time to pay some attention to your air conditioning unit. Homeowners who neglect to schedule a regular air conditioning tune-up are often those whose units unexpectedly break down during some of the most uncomfortable times of the year.
For the small expense of a professional tune-up, breakdowns can be avoided; your unit will have a longer lifespan, and operate safely and more efficiently, thus saving you money on energy costs.
A Thorough Tune-Up Includes the Following:
- Install gauges and check operation pressures.
- Check voltage and amperage to all motors with meter.
- Check air temperature drop across evaporator.
- Check for adequate refrigerant charge.
- Check filters.
- Check safety switches.
- Turn exposed dampers to cooling position, if marked.
- Check starting contactor contacts.
- Check all wiring and connections.
- Check thermostat calibration.
- Check air temperature across condenser.
- Check that condensate drain is open.
- Check total performance and operating efficiency of cooling system.
These are just the main checks that will be carried out by a reliable HVAC technician, like the ones here at M&M Mechanical, Inc. While you can and should regularly change the air filter yourself, you need a trained technician to give your unit a through work over to protect it and the quality of your indoor air – and save you money.