Carbon monoxide is deadly gas that is completely odorless and colorless. It has no taste, and the symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure can present very similarly to those of the common cold. All of these things make carbon monoxide extremely difficult to detect, which is why it’s so important to always be checking to make sure that the gas isn’t present in your home.
The first thing you need to know about carbon monoxide is that it can be emitted from a variety of sources common to your household or office building, including your furnace. This means that if you spend time inside a residential or commercial building at any point during your day, you are susceptible to being exposed to carbon monoxide. This, of course, doesn’t mean that you are being exposed, but understanding where carbon monoxide originates from will help you be more aware and remind you to check for carbon monoxide regularly.
The initial symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure are similar to the flu, which is why many people often mistake carbon monoxide poisoning for something else. It’s never a bad idea to get yourself checked out if you’re experiencing headaches, fatigue, shortness of break, nausea, or dizziness, especially if these symptoms present without a fever. More severe CO poisoning can lead to mental confusion, vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, loss of consciousness, and death.
Thankfully, there are ways to detect and avoid exposure to carbon monoxide. The easiest way to check for carbon monoxide in your home or office is to install a CO detector. Much like a smoke detector, a CO detector will you alert you to when there is a dangerous level of carbon monoxide in the air. CO detectors should be installed in all of the bedrooms of your home, as well as communal areas such as your living room. Be sure to always choose a reliable brand that is labeled as approved by governmental health and safety institutions.
Our technicians are well trained in knowing how to test for carbon monoxide and where to look for possible leaks and faulty equipment that can contaminate your home. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment!