HVAC filters are the part of your HVAC system that requires maintenance regularly – and that we all tend to forget about the most. Filters that are ignored can hurt your HVAC system’s efficiency, which can increase your energy bill and also lead to more unexpected repairs.
Here are some tips and tricks for making sure you get the most out of your HVAC system by regularly checking, cleaning and replacing your filters:
- If you have pets, smokers or allergy-sufferers in your family, your filter is at a higher risk to get dirtier, quicker. Whether you have disposable or permanent, they need checking every month.
- If you’re changing your filter on your own and have to go out a buy a new one – bring your old one with you in case you’re not sure what size to get!
- If you’re cleaning the filter instead of replacing it, make sure you always turn off your system before starting the cleaning process.
- Disposable filters made of cardboard are much cheaper than permanent ones made of metal or fiberglass, but also have to be replaced more often and require more attention. In the long run, the metal or fiberglass filters may be more cost effective.
- You should vacuum, soak and sanitize the filters during your cleaning process. After that, drain them so that they are completely dry before re-installing.
- The MERV (Minimum Efficiency Report Value) is important when choosing what type of filter works best for your HVAC system. The higher the MERV value, the better the filter!
Cleaning and/or changing your filters regularly helps your system run better, but this is only one small part of your HVAC system. To ensure that you are getting everything out of your system, you should have the whole thing checked at least twice every year. If you’re having trouble cleaning your filter, or are ready for a full system tune-up, give us a call!