The first day of summer may not be until June 21st, but it already feels like it has arrived around here (especially in Fairfax VA). You may have been counting down the days until summer since January, but have you gotten your home ready? Check out our top tips for making sure you and your home have a great summer season.
- Repair or Replace Your AC Filters: Blocked and dirty filters can severely hamper the delivery of the cool air we all depend on during the hotter months.
- Change the Rotation of Ceiling Fans: Blades that rotate counter-clockwise help push air down and create a stronger, cooler draft.
- Install Outdoor Lighting: Don’t call it a night just because the sun has set! Add lanterns, twinkle lights or a fire pit to your backyard to make it nighttime friendly.
- Clean Out Your Freezer: Make room for your summer cookout extravaganza by fully emptying your freezer, defrosting it, and throwing out anything that’s been in there for over a year (or anything you just know you won’t eat).
- Reorganize Your Garage or Shed: Move all the winter tools and toys (think snow blower, shovels and skis) to the back, and bring the summer items (like sprinklers, lawn mowers and gardening gear) towards the front.
- Re-caulk Windows & Doors as Needed: During the colder months, windows and doors can separate slightly from their frames as they condense in the cool temperatures. A quick check and some caulk will fix it right up!
- Update Your Bedding: Swap out your heavier comforters for lighter, more breathable fabrics. Don’t forget to wash the winter bedding before storing it!
- Clean Your Patio Furniture: Pull your patio furniture out from storage, and give it a thorough cleaning. If your seat cushions have seen better days, consider replacing them with new, brightly colored ones!
- Reseal Your Fence and Deck: Wooden fences and decks take a beating in all types of weather, so give them a little TLC. Check that no boards need to be replaced, and give them a fresh coat of sealer to protect them all summer long.
And our bonus tip: get a seasonal tune-up on your HVAC system. The experts at M&M Mechanical will make sure your air conditioning system will get you through all the hot summer months ahead. Schedule a tune-up today!
PS, if you’re looking for HVAC services in the Atlanta GA area, call Cunningham Associates Heating & Cooling, Inc.